[vlc-devel] Automatically download subtitles in VLC

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu Nov 22 23:50:11 CET 2007

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007, Rafaël Carré wrote :
> > But there is a problem : subtitles files might infringe copyright. I
> > don't really know.
>
> If you enjoy coding that, do it without thinking of legal problems, and
> we'll speak about that later.
>
> However if you don't want to spend time in a feature which will be
> rejected, then we should ask details to the opensubtitles.org maintainer
> before all.
>
> A 'middle' solution would be to include your work, but disable it by
> default.

What about coding it with two parts: one being scripts in lua, and the
other part which would be the code, you submit a name, the scripts give
you a list, you choose a URL and you get the subtitles ?

If this is generic enough, where is the problem ?
Moreover, it could be used for lyrics too, no ?

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/