[vlc-devel] Automatically download subtitles in VLC

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Thu Nov 22 23:39:18 CET 2007

Le jeudi 22 novembre 2007 à 19:08 +0100, Jean-Philippe ANDRÉ a écrit :
> Hello everybody !
>
> I am currently coding a fun feature for VLC : download automatically
> subtitles for the media we are playing.
>
> Some people told me about coding such a feature on IRC . The principle
> is simple : a list of subtitles is downloaded from opensubtitles.org, then
> we [the user] chose one of them and a zipped file containing the
> subtitles is downloaded from opensubtitles.org, extracted, and we get our
> subtitles.
>
> But there is a problem : subtitles files might infringe copyright. I
> don't really know.

If you enjoy coding that, do it without thinking of legal problems, and
we'll speak about that later.

However if you don't want to spend time in a feature which will be
rejected, then we should ask details to the opensubtitles.org maintainer
before all.

A 'middle' solution would be to include your work, but disable it by
default.

--
Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org>