[vlc-devel] [RFC] bumping the dummy interface capabilities.

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Fri Nov 23 22:04:04 CET 2007

Hello,

The main complaint about VLC vs mplayer for advanced users, is that
vlc needs an interface to run, whereas mplayer doesn't. We know that
this is absolutely wrong. But because `vlc mycoolmovie.mp4` launches
the qt4 interface by default on most linux distrib, most users thinks
they need they have to use the qt4 interface to run vlc.

I would propose that:
1- `vlc mycoolmovie.mp4` should behave like if -I dummy has been set
if running from a terminal. Distribution would launch vlc using -I qt4
in graphical mode.

2- `vlc` behaves like `vlc -I qt4`.

Technically that mean increasing the capbility rank of the dummy
interface beyond the standard gui interface.

What do you think?

Pierre.