[vlc-devel] [RFC] bumping the dummy interface capabilities.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Fri Nov 23 22:17:03 CET 2007

http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/post/2007/11/15/Misconceptions-about-VLC-2-Running-VLC-without-interface

> this is absolutely wrong. But because `vlc mycoolmovie.mp4` launches
> the qt4 interface by default on most linux distrib, most users thinks
> they need they have to use the qt4 interface to run vlc.
>
> I would propose that:
> 1- `vlc mycoolmovie.mp4` should behave like if -I dummy has been set
> if running from a terminal. Distribution would launch vlc using -I qt4
> in graphical mode.
>
> 2- `vlc` behaves like `vlc -I qt4`.
>
> Technically that mean increasing the capbility rank of the dummy
> interface beyond the standard gui interface.
>
> What do you think?

I am sorry I don't like it.
This can just confuse users...

We have shortcuts so why not use them ?
we already have wxvlc, svlc, qvlc...
I suggest to add a shortcut to have vlc-cli for dummy interface
and rvlc for rc interface.

And let vlc take the default from the preferences...

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/