[vlc-devel] [RFC] bumping the dummy interface capabilities.

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Sun Nov 25 18:28:58 CET 2007

Le Friday 23 November 2007 23:04:04 Pierre d'Herbemont, vous avez écrit :
> I would propose that:
> 1- `vlc mycoolmovie.mp4` should behave like if -I dummy has been set
> if running from a terminal. Distribution would launch vlc using -I qt4
> in graphical mode.

How do you know VLC is run from a terminal? AFAIK, isatty(1) will be true if
VLC inherits a terminal from its parent process, regardless of said parent
being a shell or a graphical file browser.

> 2- `vlc` behaves like `vlc -I qt4`.
>
> Technically that mean increasing the capbility rank of the dummy
> interface beyond the standard gui interface.
>
> What do you think?

It's an ugly hack, that is likely to annoy and confuse users even more than
the current situation.1

IMHO, the real problem is that the Qt4 interface crashes the whole VLC if
there is no X, instead of gently falling back to the RC interface. That is a
bug.

http://www.remlab.net/