[vlc-devel] vlc: svn commit r23400 (courmisch)

Alexis Ballier aballier at gentoo.org
Thu Nov 29 10:31:43 CET 2007

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 00:46:57 +0200
Rémi Denis-Courmont <rdenis at simphalempin.com> wrote:

> Le Wednesday 28 November 2007 21:38:13 Alexis Ballier, vous avez
> écrit :
> > Actually I disagree with that, not shipping it while configure.ac
> > uses AM_PATH_LIBGCRYPT forces to have libgcrypt as a build
> > dependency, while as far as I know it's not.
>
> That's not quite true. First, you only care about m4 macros if you
> rerun bootstrap, which is to say, use the "maintainer mode" and
> modify the build system. If you get the official source tarball, you
> couldn't care less, and that's definitely the recommended method for
> "packagers". Second, libgcrypt is a recommended dependency when
> building anyhow, being needed for TLS support (through gnutls),
> Secure RTP, and hopefully soon secure update notification. Again,
> while I expect custom embedded builds not to use libgcrypt, I hope
> that normal "packagers" do use it.

Well, then I don't fit in you definition of "normal packager" :)
I have to modify a bit configure.ac, be it to allow detection of non
stardard stuff or to backport some fixes, or to fix a few things before
sending it here/on trac. The world isn't perfect and the fact is I have
to rerun autotools, and in my case it means users wanting to install vlc
will do it automatically.
Also, for me, being "recommended" or "default" means at best make it
opt-out rather than opt-in, and I've seen people being pissed off by
having libgcrypt as a build time dependency and no way to opt-it-out; so
I suppose I'll have to mirror a libgcrypt.m4 and copy it manually in m4/
in vlc's ebuild.

Regards,

Alexis.