[vlc-devel] [RFC] freetype and video-title-show crashes

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Thu Oct 4 22:55:05 CEST 2007

Bernie Purcell wrote:
> Hi Jean-Paul,
>
> There isn't any technical need for the fontbuilder thread to be launched
> before the init of Freetype - they can go in either order, so I see no
> problem in applying your patch if it is fixing a problem.
> I'm interested in why it could be creating a problem though. The
> Fontconfig and Freetype stuff should be separate and not touching each
> other, so it is probably something stupid that I'm doing in the
> FontBuilder thread. I am using msg_Dbg(), msg_Err() in this thread, and
> they pass through the filter object as the first argument (and the same
> vlc object is still in use in the other thread). Would that be doing it?

Maybe the module is shot down when the thread is still running. And that
would definetly result in a segfault. I believe  you should, do a
vlc_thread_ready(p_this) in the FontBuilder thread and a
vlc_object_attach(). And you should definitely do a clean up of the
thread in the error path.

I would be glad if you could take a look at that.

Gtz,
Jean-Paul Saman.