[vlc-devel] [RFC] freetype and video-title-show crashes

Bernie Purcell b.purcell at adbglobal.com
Fri Oct 5 06:40:46 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 22:55 +0200, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:

> Maybe the module is shot down when the thread is still running. And that
> would definetly result in a segfault. I believe  you should, do a
> vlc_thread_ready(p_this) in the FontBuilder thread and a
> vlc_object_attach(). And you should definitely do a clean up of the
> thread in the error path.

I'm a bit new at this, but I'm not sure that's the problem. In the case
of freetype.c the second thread is created on the same vlc_object as the
first (we do it in a few other places in the code like decoder.c). As we
don't have a parent/child relationship here (they are the same object)
the use of vlc_object_attach doesn't seem to be wanted. Similarly,
because the object itself is already in use I'm not convinced we should
be using vlc_thread_ready in this case either - we don't do that in the
decoder.c code for example.
Is there any chance that the fix funman made to this module in r22421
has already fixed the segfault issue?

Bitmap