[vlc-devel] vlc: svn commit r22680 (jpsaman)

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Sat Oct 20 11:39:53 CEST 2007

Christophe Mutricy wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 07 at 07:30 +0200, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
>>> iirc doing like this breaks compatibility with ffmpegs compiled without
>>> --enable-swscaler
>>> swscale.h is always installed, and so is libswscale.pc, thus the tests
>>> will succeed and vlc will try to use the swscale api
>> This test will always fail on my system even if libswcale.a is
>> installed. It failed the link part of the test.
> Can we have the logs?
>
>> If ffmpeg always installs libswscale.pc and swscale.h then IMHO ffmpeg
>> should be fixed to not do that when --enable-swscaler is used.
> As Alexis said I and some others asked but it was refused for some
> reasons ( i remember to disagree with those reasons but didn't managed
> to convince them)
>
>> The old img_* interface in newer ffmpeg is marked depreceated and is
>> replaced by sws_* based interface. For vlc is it thus natural to move on
>> to the new interface and drop the old one.
>
> IIRC all the chroma converters in vlc are/were not yet being converter to
> swscale so being able to compile with the old version is/was a good
> point. If it's effectively a things of the past. why not forcing
> swscale.
> But the issue remains that we needs to compile to be sure to have a
> ffmpeg with a real swscale

In that case there is more work to do on finishing the change to use
swscale. AFAIK it was all done, but apparently not, so I'll have to
spent more time on it then. And of course if someone wants to volunteer
and help a little, then we'll get there sooner then later ;-)

What functionality in vlc needs to change for the move to swscale?

- codec/ffmpeg/chroma
- crop
- scale
- ????