[vlc-devel] Contribs for Windows... using gcc 4.2

Benjamin Sergeant bsergean at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 18:29:49 CEST 2007

On 10/24/07, Benjamin Sergeant <bsergean at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/24/07, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 22, 2007, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote :
> > > Those contribs need more testing than usual, and are already installed
> > > on altair. the NB 20071022 uses them. Please test them and report
> > > breakages ( except the qt4 quit and segfault one. :D )
> >
> > So, those nightlies work more or less... As bad as the previous ones  in
> > fact :D
> >
> > I have just seen that the libffmpeg dll has grown from 4.3 to 5.2MB
> > from august to now. I think we will have some difficult time to make the
> > final .exe under 10MB...
> >
> > At the same time the qt went from 6.3 to 6.9MB...
> >
> > Does anyone knows if we can shrink those dlls by any mean ? :D
> >

> For qt there might be a configure flag to disable exceptions, this
> might speed up thing and reduce code size.

I would also try the no STL flag. STL usually increase the code size,
and if your GUI code does not talk with any STL lib try it.

-> give this to configure.
-no-exceptions -no-stl

On Linux why not playing with -reduce-relocations

There is also -no-iconv to try. Our program at work does not need it.
But it might be the opposite effect, with iconv support Qt might get
rid of their internal locale transcoder, so the dll might be smaller.