[vlc-devel] compile VLC under cygwin is broken (vlc.exe does not run)

Damien Fouilleul damien.fouilleul at laposte.net
Mon Sep 3 11:31:01 CEST 2007

Cedric Cocquebert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Copy of a post in the forum
> http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40246
> --
> Two problems :
>
> First: Gettext 1.6 is not available on cygwin distrib (must compile)
> see http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=39275&p=125216
>
> Second: most *.dll files haven't been renamed by change 'cyg' prefix by
> 'lib' in .libs directory, then the vlc.exe is corrupted (6656 bytes ...) and
> when I call ./vlc.exe nothing happens ...

you need to specify the --host=i686-pc-mingw32 in your configure line to
make sure DLLs are not prefixed with cyg...
regarding vlc.exe, the 'real' vlc.exe is in .libs, the one created at
the root of build dir seems to be a bootstrapper created by libtool.
if you want to test vlc from your build directory, just runs the libtool
created ./vlc script, it will just work.

To debug you can even try

libtool --mode=execute gdb --args ./vlc -vvvvv

as one would on linux.

Damien