[vlc-devel] Buttons in the QT interface controler

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sun Sep 9 22:57:05 CEST 2007

On Sun, Sep 09, 2007, Antoine Cellerier wrote :
>  * Preferences: The preferences are already available through the menu.
>                 We don't need to have a button to open them (it's not a
>                 dialog that people are supposed to open often).
Ok.

>  * Fullscreen: The button should be hidden when no video is playing.
See the FIXME and the enableVideo problem.

>  * Rate changes: Rate change buttons "S" and "F" should be "advanced
>                  controls" (-> hidden unless advanced controls is
>                  checked). They're also not buttons which you use often
>                  plus rate change is already available through the
>                  rate right click menu in the status bar. (And it'd be
>                  logical to have them somewhere around the "N" normal
>                  rate button. Like "AB" "S" "Fr" "R" "S" "N" "F".)
I disagree, they are small and can be a bit smaller, but they don't take
extra space since there is already a slider. Also they are very useful
for long movies and have been requested a lot of times in the forum. And
finally they have been here for a while in the wx interface and that
would be good to keep them to help users jump from wx to qt.

>  * Album art: Add a context menu on the album art display to change the
>               album art download policy (shouldn't be too hard :p).
>               Make the image resizable (somehow) so it doesn't look too
>               small on high resolution screens.
Yep.

>  * Playlist: Move the icon / tree hierarchy in a column of it's own.
>              (+ maybe change the columns default width so that the
>              contents fit better)
Don't understand.
>              Show the additional sources menu when right clicking on the
>              left hand side playlist category menu (i don't know what
>              it's called).
Yep.
>              Make it undock when you drag it away from the controler
>              (I'm not sure if that's possible but it'd be neat :D)
>              Add menu item to toggle between tree and flat mode.
yes, QDockWidget.

>  * Ratings: Use small cone icons !!!!
yep.

>  * Status bar: Add right click menu to chose what info you want to
>                display (Author - Track name / Filename / ...)
Why not. not important yet I think.

>  * Menu: Hide menu items when they're empty (i'm not sure about that one
>          though)
I disagree. this confuse people.

>  * Extended Settings: Find real names for the different video filters
>                       related tabs :)
* Aname
* Yetanothername
* Yetanotherstupidname :D