[vlc-devel] Win32 Build methods support

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Fri Sep 21 22:22:20 CEST 2007

Hello,

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007, Mark Moriarty wrote :
> That may shut down the ability of people in a corporate environment to do
> any work with VLC. It can be astoundingly difficult to get approvals for use
> of software, especially FOSS, so requiring multiple sets of FOSS to get to a
> build environment is kind of brutal.
>
> So, no, fundamentally I would disagree with such an approach.  Nobody is
> forced to do anything, of course, just don't purposely muck it up.  The
> contribs were building, successfully, consistently, for a fair length of
> time, and VLC itself has built successfully on Windows for years.
Can everyone calm down a bit on this issue? Seriously?

The recommended way to have a fully working VLC for Windows is Linux
cross-compiling and that is the way I build the contribs that some
people use.

For Windows users, here is the deal.

MSVC cannot compile the contribs. So the point is over.

Between Cygwin and MSys, MSys is faster and is the official emulation
layer for ffmpeg, Qt4 and other contribs, but Cygwin seems to work
better. I would prefer MSys, because of the speed, but I don't have a
windows anymore (I'll get one with my new comp, soon I hope (donation
accepted :D) ). So I know Mark and Cedric uses Cygwin, I don't remember
what Trax uses, but I don't know many people actually compiling the
contribs.

The problem with the patches is mostly because of the dos2unix and \r\n
problems.
So if you can give a way to have those patches to apply cleanly on
Cygwin or MSys and in the same time on Linux, then, I don't see why they
wouldn't get included. Faac people have made a mistake on the 1.25
release because of their bootstrap script that has the \r\n problem. And
sometimes live555 has the same problem. However, most of everything
works correctly.

So if MSys cannot build VLC correctly, then it shouldn't be recommended
at all. If the Cygwin can with some small patches, why drop it? But if
the patches are becoming too big, you have to understand that we prefer
the linux way, since it is proven to work.

Finally, when you need a new contrib, why don't you ask me. I have never
refused to do one, nor did xtophe.

Best Regards,

and peace and love.

--