[vlc-devel] XSPF support in VLC

Sebastian Pipping webmaster at hartwork.org
Sun Sep 23 05:36:18 CEST 2007

Hello VLC Developers!

I'm here to talk about XSPF support in VLC with you.
At the time VLC learned to speak XSPF there was no
XSPF library written in C/C++ around. In between that
has changed: there now is libSpiff, the official
reference implementation of the Xiph.Org Foundation.

As with any library using a library specific to a single
tasks has many benefits, among them increased interoperability.
That and the fact that the XSPF playlist files created by
VLC (version 0.8.6c) are not valid (what I noticed is that
locations are not URIs) makes me want to request libSpiff
integration into VLC. libSpiff takes reading and writing
of XSPF files off your shoulders, backed up with a testsuite
of currently about 140 testcases.

VLC seems to be C only. libSpiff (natively C++) has simple
C bindings already but they might not be powerful enough
for VLC. Therefore I would like to discuss VLC's needs for
enhanced C bindings with you. From a quick look at VLC's
XSPF demuxer code I had the impression you invented an
XSPF extension for VLC - is that right? If so it would
be cool if you could briefly document your extension on
the List of known XSPF extensions page [1] in the Xiph Wiki.

Me and the XSPF mailing list [2] people are looking forward
to working with you.

Thanks for your open ears!

Sebastian

[1] http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/List_of_known_XSPF_extensions