[vlc-devel] XSPF support in VLC

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at nxtelevision.com
Mon Sep 24 20:26:24 CEST 2007

Hello,

> I'm here to talk about XSPF support in VLC with you.
>
> That and the fact that the XSPF playlist files created by
> VLC (version 0.8.6c) are not valid (what I noticed is that
> locations are not URIs) makes me want to request libSpiff
> integration into VLC.

Some of the xspf bugs are fixed in trunk.
Afaik the only remaining ones are the XML-base one #1244  and some bad
parsing on empty item #1293

But it's no excuse to have a libspiff module and be 100% compliant.
I think the limiting factor will be developer freetime

> VLC seems to be C only. libSpiff (natively C++) has simple
> C bindings already but they might not be powerful enough
> for VLC. Therefore I would like to discuss VLC's needs for
> enhanced C bindings with you.
The core itself is C-only. but you can write modules in C, C++, C#  at
least. so there is no problem to use libspiff.

> From a quick look at VLC's
> XSPF demuxer code I had the impression you invented an
> XSPF extension for VLC - is that right? If so it would
> be cool if you could briefly document your extension on
> the List of known XSPF extensions page [1] in the Xiph Wiki.

>From memory it is because the VLC playlist has several level and it
is/was to store that. I need to check the code to see what it actually
do.

Regards,

--
Xtophe