[vlc-devel] Enhancement Request...

Tony Anecito adanecito at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 01:12:01 CEST 2008

Thanks Pierre,

I get emails from time to time on using JVLC and the
one thing they initially run into is not understanding
that vlc needs to know where the dlls are for the
windows environment unless you organize your
deployment package where the plugins directory is
located in the same directory as the executable.

Then once they get past that the developers try to
graduate to the next level. They use another java
deployment mechanism called web start that puts the
dlls into a cache directory. The problem then is the
cache directory can not be readily found except via a
class loading mechanism that as of the latest beta
release is no longer available. So okay the last and
least favorite way to handle this issue is to create a
second copy (remember the first copy is in java web
start cache) of the dlls somewhere in the user file
system where they can be written and read via the java
program.

Yep mightly complex and needless work caused by a
recent change by Sun. I asked them to revert it back
and maybe they will but figured this should be easier
if the first dll loaded could figure out where it was
loaded from and use that to get the other dlls.

I am hoping this new quirk by Sun does not break the
new jna model developed by the jvlc team.

Regards,
-Tony