[vlc-devel] Enhancement Request...

Tony Anecito adanecito at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 15:59:26 CEST 2008

Thanks Filippo for the response. I am watching the vlc
emails closely on this topic regarding dlls. Last I
read was Remi was sure the dlls could not use a
windows call to find themselves. I think (not sure)
that is not a problem for java based on what you said.
For java if we load the first dll with the loadlib
command and java knows where that is then the dll will
find the other ones. How do you determine where the
plugins is? I have discovered using the windows PATH
environment variable is a very risky thing to do. If
you have two plugins directories then you could break
vlc if it is launched from a differnt location and
that version is older. That caused me some grief early
on working with vlc from Eclipse because I had to be
carefull about having plugins in the path from an
older install and when eclipse started up it picked
that up.

I am hoping Sun fixes the bug in Web Start before too
long which would be my preferred fix. It is only an
issue in the next big release (1.6 Update 10) but that
is an important release for me and for java on the
desktop in general. It is supposed to speed up cold
starts for java by a big amount so java applications
will startup much quicker the very first time. For
swing apps and others (even linux) it is a must.

Best Regards,
-Tony