[vlc-devel] missing attribution in vlc-0.8.6f/src/misc/charset.c

Bruno Haible bruno at clisp.org
Fri Apr 4 03:35:44 CEST 2008

Hi,

The file src/misc/charset.c (in the vlc-0.8.6f distribution, also in git [1])
is missing some copyright and author attribution. The file is in part derived
from the localcharset.c file that was created for GNU libcharset (part of
GNU libiconv) and now lives in GNU gnulib [2].

You can see that some parts are identical, such as the comments

  /* Most systems support nl_langinfo (CODESET) nowadays.  */

  /* But most old systems don't have a complete set of locales.  Some
     (like SunOS 4 or DJGPP) have only the C locale.  Therefore we don't
     use setlocale here; it would return "C" when it doesn't support the
     locale name the user has set.  */

It appears (from the comments in [1]) that charset.c was derived from a function
mp_locale_charset(), for which you can see from Karel Zak's mail [3] that it was
derived from my code in libcharset. The time point at which the code was taken
from libcharset must be around 2002 or 2003.

Can you please add to the header of src/misc/charset.c an attribution like this:

 * vlc_current_charset() an adaption of mp_locale_charset():
 *
 *  Copyright (C) 2001-2003 The Mape Project
 *  Written by Karel Zak  <zakkr at zf.jcu.cz>.
 *
 * which itself is an adaptation of locale_charset():
 *
 *  Copyright (C) 2000-2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
 *  Written by Bruno Haible <bruno at clisp.org>.
 *

Thank you very much.

Bruno

PS: I appreciate VLC and use it myself. It's the only software I know of
which can play Youtube videos (*.flv) on MacOS X.

[1] http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=src/misc/charset.c;h=0b6a323177710edc4e6333c20f18278c2b23e729;hb=12315c067bcbb9a55fcc5a27b636c1346b481f75
[2] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob;f=lib/localcharset.c;h=a0f7cca691879bbd6b4f14f7b2e58f11123d87a2;hb=HEAD
[3] http://qaix.com/postgresql-database-development/210-479-automatic-detection-of-client-encoding-read.shtml