[vlc-devel] [RFC] Regarding the use of *_Control()

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Tue Apr 15 11:07:35 CEST 2008

On Apr 15, 2008, at 8:57 AM, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:

> Indeed my answer is somewhat subjective.

Thanks :)

> What you propose is to break
> module ABI. I got the impression that we as team didn't want that.
> Your
> proposal only wraps the *_Contrlol() function without really
> rethinking
> the module ABI.

True. Yet, first step would be just to have a nicer accessor. Second
step is to break the ABI by hiding _Control()

> If we are going down the road of redifining (and breaking the module
> ABI), then I propose we do it proper by rethinking the way the
> *_Control() functions are defined. The goal is then to end up with a
> well-defined new module ABI (which is better maintainable and harder
> misues). IMHO that would be better, then just wrapping the old
> *_Control() and thus adding a new layer of indirection.

I'll think about it. This one is a bit harder, as more code needs to
be changed in an non automatic way. But for sure, we could rethink it.

Do we agree that I should remap *_Control() as a first step?

Eventually an other RFC will follow.

Thanks for your time,

Pierre.