[vlc-devel] [RFC] Regarding the use of *_Control()

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Tue Apr 15 11:46:59 CEST 2008

On Apr 15, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:

>> Do we agree that I should remap *_Control() as a first step?
>
> I think it is premature to do that now. It is my feeling that there
> are
>  still things (fundamentally) very wrong or broken in git. Let us
> focus
> on fixing that first, before rewrite internal module ABI's. Which will
> definitely destabilize vlc more (at least temporarily) and make it
> harder to get git in a sensible state.
>
>> Eventually an other RFC will follow.
>
> First RFC then remapping and rewritting (has my preference).

Well, to be honest, I don't agree here. That's not the point of the
first RFC. The first RFC, is about sanitizing a bit the use of
*_Control(), speaking of the code, not about architecture.

So it's not about rewritting.

Whereas a full architecture rewrite should be postponed or developed
separately, a code cleanup doesn't need such a harsh measure.

Hence, it's problematic to tell, "please don't do cleanup, because you
shouldn't do clean up but full architecture rewrite, and architecture
rewrite means code breakage, so please don't do".

Do you get my point? Did I miss yours?

Pierre.