[vlc-devel] commit: test: Test meta data support. (Pierre d'Herbemont )

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Sat Apr 19 17:56:58 CEST 2008

On Apr 19, 2008, at 5:12 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le Saturday 19 April 2008 04:22:05 git version control, vous avez
> écrit :
>> vlc | branch: master | Pierre d'Herbemont
>> <pdherbemont at videolan.org> | Sat
>> Apr 19 02:51:42 2008 +0200|
>> [b66dfd1b9f7587822fd5c8ad7b6d153d72b889c5]
>>
>> test: Test meta data support.
>>
>> Note, this is done even if no meta data module is compiled. A
>> future commit
>> should fix that.
>
> This is _not_ specific to this commit (I mean, the problem was
> already there
> before), but I really don't like "make check" and "make distcheck"
> to depend
> on a working Internet connection. IMHO, if some files are needed,
> they ought
> to be in the tarball (and, yeah, that means small).

`make distcheck` is broken if there is no internet connection for
sure. I know that some of us doesn't agree to put some samples in the
source git tree. It does also make sense I think.

Currently the proposition is to put core samples (basically a video
and a file with meta data) that don't exceed 500Ko in some place in
the tree.

I do propose to create a new git-submodule that would hold the samples
files needed. Hence we'll keep a separation between sources and samples.

Basically that mean, we create a samples.git in git.v.o and add:
[submodule "samples"]
	path = test/samples
	url = git://git.videolan.org/samples.git

to vlc/.gitmodules

Is that solution more appropriate and fulfill both concern?

Pierre.