[vlc-devel] In vlc_object_find_name what is the parameter p_this?

jboileau jboileau at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 17:30:23 CEST 2008

Already it seems a bad idea to bypass libvcl-control.dlll and directly
access libvlc.dll. But since accessing is not curently possible
through libvlc-control.dll I am looking for a workaround until
something better gets implemented. I am just looking at a way to get
my projet moving forward and don't mind revisiting this code later
when a better way to do things is implemented.

Anything that works, although the worst possible kludge :-), is welcomed!

I understand that p_this is the object the search will start from but
can't find an object to pass here. NULL would have been nice if it
would have meant search ALL objects. But that doesn't work. What
objects/structures can I pass here? libvlc_instance_t?
libvlc_media_instance_t? libvlc_media_descriptor_t? Something else?

Thanks,

Jacques Boielau

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Antoine Cellerier
<dionoea at videolan.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008, R?mi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > vlc_object_find() is generally a bad idea, and vlc_object_find_name() is
> > generally a terrible idea.
>
> Well then how do you suggest finding the object which you want to
> update? The current API only allows doing that through variable
> callbacks which explicitly need the object pointer to be called.
> It's not like calling strcmp 20 times every several seconds/minutes is
> going to lead to a big performance impact.
>
> (I agree with you that the current implementation in O(n) of our object
> finding routines isn't optimal ... but for our uses it's more than
> enough)
>
> --
> Antoine Cellerier
> dionoea