[vlc-devel] In vlc_object_find_name what is the parameter p_this?

Tanguy Krotoff tkrotoff at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 17:29:35 CEST 2008

I have the same problem here.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.videolan.vlc.devel/40861

The answer is
"Basically you cannot. The libvlc API isolates an API but does not allow
fiddling with internal VLC object. The libvlc object architecture
(libvlc_media_t, libvlc_media_player_t, libvlc_instance_t, etc) is
completely different from the the internal vlc object architecture."

PS: I saw your posting on gmane but without checking the posting dates
and ask almost the same question yesterday

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 5:30 PM, jboileau <jboileau at gmail.com> wrote:
> Already it seems a bad idea to bypass libvcl-control.dlll and directly
>  access libvlc.dll. But since accessing is not curently possible
>  through libvlc-control.dll I am looking for a workaround until
>  something better gets implemented. I am just looking at a way to get
>  my projet moving forward and don't mind revisiting this code later
>  when a better way to do things is implemented.
>
>  Anything that works, although the worst possible kludge :-), is welcomed!
>
>  I understand that p_this is the object the search will start from but
>  can't find an object to pass here. NULL would have been nice if it
>  would have meant search ALL objects. But that doesn't work. What
>  objects/structures can I pass here? libvlc_instance_t?
>  libvlc_media_instance_t? libvlc_media_descriptor_t? Something else?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Jacques Boielau
>

>  On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Antoine Cellerier
>  <dionoea at videolan.org> wrote:
>  > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008, R?mi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>  > > vlc_object_find() is generally a bad idea, and vlc_object_find_name() is
>  > > generally a terrible idea.
>  >
>  > Well then how do you suggest finding the object which you want to
>  > update? The current API only allows doing that through variable
>  > callbacks which explicitly need the object pointer to be called.
>  > It's not like calling strcmp 20 times every several seconds/minutes is
>  > going to lead to a big performance impact.
>  >
>  > (I agree with you that the current implementation in O(n) of our object
>  > finding routines isn't optimal ... but for our uses it's more than
>  > enough)
>  >
>  > --
>  > Antoine Cellerier
>  > dionoea
>  >
>  > vlc-devel mailing list
>  > To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options:
>  >

>  --
>  Jacques Boileau

Tanguy Krotoff <tkrotoff at gmail.com>