[vlc-devel] Libvlc: problem with vlc_object_find_name()

Olivier Aubert olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr
Fri Apr 25 10:30:23 CEST 2008

> How do I get a intf_thread_t object inside libvlc?
> What are the right parameters for vlc_object_find_name()?
Basically you cannot. The libvlc API isolates an API but does not allow
fiddling with internal VLC object. The libvlc object architecture
(libvlc_media_t, libvlc_media_player_t, libvlc_instance_t, etc) is
completely different from the the internal vlc object architecture.

To match your needs, there should be some extensions to the libvlc API,
that would allow to set variables on named vlc objects, something like

libvlc_instance_set_variable(char* module_alias, char* variable_name, ????? value)

but this would imply wrapping the vlc_value_t type system of (internal)
VLC  to something that could be exposed through libvlc. Or maybe
defining multiple methods
like libvlc_instance_set_variable_string, libvlc_instance_set_variable_int, etc (not really nice).

Olivier