[vlc-devel] One week to 0.9.0 release

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 9 11:25:41 CEST 2008

Am 09.08.2008 um 08:01 schrieb Jean-Baptiste Kempf:

> Then, it might take some time to have a correct windows packaging,
> especially since xtophe is away, and same for mac.
Packaging for Mac is just a matter of running "make package-macosx"
and doing the UB. That's easy.

Problematic is the broken mozilla/safari plugin packaging, which
nobody seems to care about (including myself, in fact, as I don't ever
use it). If this gets fixed in time, I'd be glad to provide the
packages. If not, this will gonna need to wait for 0.9.1. IMO, this
should be considered as a release blocker.

Regarding the release next week. I definitely support Jean-Baptiste's
and Derk-Jan's opinion to do release candidate and see how well it
works out. Especially the win32 port needs final tests IMO, as it
lacks the test3-release. I know that delaying the release is bad
because of the holiday season, but a delay by another week to fix the
most important crashes is important. Releasing something unreliable
after such a long time of no feature releases will give us bad media
attention, which will last for the next releases (0.9.1, ...). Since
0.9.0 already took us so long, we can also take the time to get it
done nicely.

Best,
Felix