[vlc-devel] Resignation as co-release manager

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Sat Aug 9 11:46:14 CEST 2008

Le samedi 9 août 2008 12:25:41 Felix Paul Kühne, vous avez écrit :
> Especially the win32 port needs final tests IMO, as it
> lacks the test3-release.

The reason why the Win32 port sucks is dead simply. No (active) developpers is
willing and able to take care of it. The same thing goes for the Mozilla
plugin on OSX, or for Skins2. Delaying a release because a developper needs
some extra time to fix a problem is good. Delaying a release while there is
no developper is plain dumb wishful thinking.

Unmaintained stuff is by definition not maintained. As the VLC code base
grows, and as time passes, it is only natural that there be more and more
unmaintained stuff. And unmaintained stuff tends to break and not get fixed.

Welcome to the real world. The *only* alternatives are:
- removing unmaintained broken things, or
- shipping them inspite of known bugs, however severe.
Waiting for unmaintained components to be fixed will achieve nothing but
ensure that we NEVER make a release EVER again... and further discourage
people, increase the ammount of unmaintained stuff, and so on.

Over the past year everybody was complaining about our slow release process,
and how badly we needed to switch from feature-based releases to time-based
releases. Now that the implications are apparent, everybody wants to go back
to feature-based. Guys, we cannot have it both ways.

With this said, given that everybody disagrees with me, I have to give up on
0.9.0 release management.

N.B.: It was great wasting so much of my time for this non-release over the
last two months, thank you guys.

http://www.remlab.net/