[vlc-devel] One week to 0.9.0 release

Dennis van Amerongen Dennis.vanAmerongen at thomson.net
Sun Aug 10 13:03:06 CEST 2008

I disagree on stability and remaining issues when it comes to win32. Even though a lot of effort and improvement has been gained in specifically the last two months with the push for timed release, I would say the win32 version is not stable enough worthy for a release, let alone final.

Unfortunately with the lack of resources and some people working overtime on remaining issues already, I don't see everything fixed before the deadline of this weekend..

Crashers:
1842 crash in media open
1841 crash on exit started from file
(used to be 1598 never quit on exit)
1764 crash x264 streaming
1768 playlist crash
1792 playlist lockup

Functionality loss:
1668 shoutcast not functional (without playlist-tree)
1745 seeking in some vod no longer works
1583 audio corruption in streaming

New functionality not working:
1662 flv streaming not working

Annoyances:
1716 zoom erradic behavior

And this is not even the full list..

So tagged in its current state a win32 user:
- You cannot open files through GUI
- If you do manage to start from file you get a crash on exit
- Watching/listening Shoutcast no longer works
- Seeking in some vod no longer works
- Not everything working as expected in GUI

This combined with an overhaul from WX to QT4 with a few quirks that needs some ironing out, please consider what a release for the large win32 user base would mean if you call it final. Endusers will not understand the concept of time based release and expect something to "work" just as 0.8.6 did.

A win32 binary in its current state will be very bad promotion, however releasing 0.9 for other OS's will attract attention to the cause.

Perhaps it's better to only tag/release win32 as source code for now if we need to stick to the timed release and as mentioned do an item in the NEWS asking for more win32 maintainers/developers.

Perhaps we can really see if people do care about win32.. So that 0.9.0a  binary for win32 is something to consider?