[vlc-devel] One week to 0.9.0 release

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sun Aug 10 13:39:19 CEST 2008

Le dimanche 10 août 2008 14:03:06 Dennis van Amerongen, vous avez écrit :
> I disagree on stability and remaining issues when it comes to win32. Even
> though a lot of effort and improvement has been gained in specifically the
> last two months with the push for timed release, I would say the win32
> version is not stable enough worthy for a release, let alone final.
>
> Unfortunately with the lack of resources and some people working overtime
> on remaining issues already, I don't see everything fixed before the
> deadline of this weekend..

I think we are writing past each other.

Deferring a release makes sense IF AND ONLY IF the extra time is dedicated to
fix bugs. Most of the "grave" issues concern areas that are not taken care
of. Whether we defer the release by one week, one year, or not at all will
make no differences. Time does not fix bugs. Only people do.

Regarding the Win32 port -lets face it- it used to be Gildas working on it
during his paid work time. That stopped 3 years ago [1]. Then we had a slight
relief with Damien supporting his own work on the ActiveX plugin. That's
stopped as well. Consequently, proper Win32 support in 0.9.0 is nothing but a
_day_dream_. You cannot compensate for 3 years of neglection in ten days.

[1] http://www.ohloh.net/projects/vlc/contributors

http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary