[vlc-devel] commit: Revert "Turn on -Werror for libvlccore and libvlc." ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Wed Aug 13 18:50:16 CEST 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 6:37 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> Le mercredi 13 août 2008 19:28:40 Pierre d'Herbemont, vous avez
> écrit :
>> The portable code argument isn't valuable as we do have build bots.
>
> For Solaris and *BSDs?

True. We can disable on non-buildboted platforms.

> Magically fixing prototype incompatibilities between Win32 and POSIX?

Yes. Or disable the check on non windows.

>> Anyway I suggest to turn this on to get us to get rid of all our
>> valid
>> warning in a sane way before 0.9.0.
>
> Breaking forward compatibility everytime glibc or wheover adds a new
> sanity
> check. Great...

That's an argument for -Werror actually :) Most of the time behind a
sanity check warning lies a missing check, else no point to warn.

I do propose to actually turn on -Werror on linux flavours and osx, if
--enable-debug is used. I think that's a nice balance.

Pierre.