[vlc-devel] commit: Revert "Turn on -Werror for libvlccore and libvlc." ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Wed Aug 13 19:14:02 CEST 2008

Le mercredi 13 août 2008 19:50:16 Pierre d'Herbemont, vous avez écrit :
> That's an argument for -Werror actually :) Most of the time behind a
> sanity check warning lies a missing check, else no point to warn.

Heck no. It is difficult enough to build VLC without -Werror.

A warning is a warning is a warning. According to the GCC documentation
itself, "warnings are made optional because GCC is not smart enough to see
all the reasons why the code might be correct despite appearing to have an
error". And my experience is that other compilers are much worse.

http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary