[vlc-devel] [RFC] unfriendly Qt menus?
pcastets at actech-innovation.com
Thu Aug 21 12:10:09 CEST 2008
Before 0.9.0 release, I would like to make some comments about Qt
Maybe it was already discussed before, but I'm quite new to VLC and it
seems to me that it wasn't.
I think VLC interface is quite user unfriendly.
The order of menus might not be intuitive to a novice user, because it
In my opinion, important changes that should be made are :
- "Tools" menu should be at the end, just before "Help" menu.
- "Playback" menu should come after "Media" menu (this menu could be
seen as an edit menu, it's the one you're most likely to use after
opening your file)
- "Media" menu could be named "File" menu, like in any normal
Some minor changes I would make are :
- Playlist menu should appear only in playlist window, rather than in
main window. I think no user is going to edit his playlist without
opening the playlist window...
- I would group "Media information" and "Codec information" items in
some "Properties" item, in File (or media) menu. That's always where I
look, when I want this kind of information about a file.
In a nutshell, it could be something like:
File Playback Video Audio (Playlist) Tools Help
I am aware that it is quite late for changes, but I'm sure it would make
VLC much nicer to average user. It wouldn't be a luxury :)
Currently, even if you find the option you're looking for in the menus,
menus give an impression of mess...
More information about the vlc-devel