[vlc-devel] Speex audio in .flv container

Steven Woolley woobert at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 18:27:23 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 10:42 AM, compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:39:49 -0500, Steven Woolley wrote:
>>Hi all, I'm messing with the flash player 10 beta, which allows audio
>>to be recorded in Speex format, but having a hard time converting it
>>to anything else from the .flv.  I'm betting this will become a lot
>
> please upload a sample somewhere.

I'll upload a sample soon after testing with AFP 10... see below.

>>yet (and I'm not even sure the .flv's I'm generating are correct, but
>>noone is, because until you have something that will read it, there's
>>now way to say it's working or not!)
>
> if it was created in adobe flash player, and can be played by afp, its
> ok. but you can check flv spec to find out:
> http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flv/pdf/video_file_format_spec_v9.pdf
> page 10 lists the audio codecs, i dont see speex.

Yeah, that was dumb of me, I just realized after I sent this that I
can actually test this by streaming it back to Flash 10!  If it's in
the "proper" format, then flash should play it fine.  I'll try that
before I upload some untested junk.

Also, I am using flash player 10 (which added Speex) so that document
is most likely out of date... I've sent and email to adobe to get
updated spec's etc.

> you might also ask mike melanson, head of penguin.swf (adobe flash
> linux plugin). or gnash and swfdec projects.

Thanks, I'll look him up!

>>So, a) is there any way to get vlc or ffmpeg to work with speex?  I am
>>willing to do a custom compile, change code, etc. (if I knew where to start!)
>
> you can take a look at ffmpeg/libavformat/flvdec.c and add the
> codec_id_speex to the list of 'supported audio codecs'.

I've done that already actually, but I don't really understand what
I'm doing... (I can get it to stop complaining about the "unsupported
format" but I still need to be able to export it in some sort of
container (.ogg I believe is what speex normally goes in) but that is
beyond me...

>>or b) failing that, how do I simply output the raw speex audio stream from
>>the flv to a pipe or file? So I can decode it with the official speex stuff?
>
> hmm, you can try mplayer -dumpaudio file.flv
> or maybe even mplayer -demuxer rawaudio -rawaudio format=.... (add a
> format id number to codecs.conf under audiocodec speex)
> but i wouldnt bet on either working.

I've been trying to do just that, but for some reason I thought I'd
have to use mencoder which I couldn't find for os x...
Where does codecs.conf reside?  This looks promising

> hope this helps!
> -compn

It does, thanks a lot!
Steve