[vlc-devel] who's the right Windows build ?

Cristian Secară orice at secarica.ro
Wed Aug 27 17:55:33 CEST 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:16:46 +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> I don't recall any bug report mentioning that Windows crashed at
> startup in June/July, either. I *do* recall noting that August was
> the time for fixing 0.9 bugs, but not anymore for reporting them.

I used random 0.9.x versions mostly since June, mostly because of my
work on Romanian translation. As far as I remember, except for a gap
during 5 to 20 August approx (I've been away), the program never crashed
*at launch time*, this is something new, only present in the last 3-4
days.

> And guess what, Windows users are testing the 1.0 early (now).

I never knew that version 1.0 is already on the way, I was thinking
that this is a simple renumbering of these days upcoming version.

So where should one test a compilled 0.9.x version ? Let's say for
Windows. Form jb's site *only* ?
How is this supposed to be known ?

Perhaps I want to test it on my EEPC. The low space there prevents me
to compile it on site, so I have to install a static Debian version.
The nightlies are now with version 1.0 already ? So where should I take
a 0.9.x Deibian version for testing purpose ?

> I don't care if people don't report Windows bugs. My life would
> actually be easier if they did not. Then we would not feel compelled
> to check them out. And we would not hopelessly try to fix bugs on a
> platform none of the active developers use.

Yeah, but then after the official version launch you may be overhelmed
with complaints on forum, from users, not from testers ...

> My 2 cents

My 1 cent :)

Cristi