[vlc-devel] some DVD issues

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Thu Aug 28 10:37:53 CEST 2008

On 28 aug 2008, at 09:46, Cristian Secară wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 00:50:50 +0200, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
>
>>> 3. I happen to have a DVD [...] where it is almost impossible to
>>> click the four menu items. [...] I agree that the circles are
>>> relatively small, but anyway ...
>> Yeah, some DVDs have this, it's not something that we can solve as
>> far as I'm aware. It has to do with how the menus are designed.
>> (remember that you usually use a remote with a DVD).
>
> Well, playing a DVD on the home unit happens almost always with
> remote,
> while playing a DVD on PC happens almost never with remote.
>
> The popular software DVD players like PowerDVD or WinDVD are showing
> correctly those menus, so a solution exists somehow.
> (popular software = because usually they are bundled with
> purchased hardware)

Well unfortunately, DVD is not an open/free specification and as such
no full implementation in Free Software exists for it. libdvdnav has
reverse engineered quite a lot of it, but it is by far not perfect and
not complete. Unfortunately, it seems that no one is still developing
libdvdnav, so I don't see this situation improving any time soon.

DJ