[vlc-devel] VLC 1.0.0 release plan

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sun Dec 7 21:08:24 CET 2008

Le dimanche 7 décembre 2008 21:48:42 hannes_b at gmx.at, vous avez écrit :
> what about the plugins for ie and mozilla

I must have missed your patches. Please post them again.

> and others on all platforms?
> i didnt use vlc since i switched to ubuntu
> because there are no actual packages, or i cant find them.

What the heck? That's an Ubuntu issue!

> recently the biggest german speaking it site
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Wieder-Luecke-in-VLC-media-player--/meldung/
>119685 said it is better to use another player because of all the security
> holes in the recent times and for several years they recommended vlc
> because it is safer than the others. systematically test for security
> problems!

You are welcome to review the code.

None of the security discolures over the last three years (in other words,
ever since we did not have any before 2006) were found in code that _I_
wrote. I cannot force other developpers to not write and commit crap. OTOH, I
did _uncover_ a bunch of security issues myself, and I was the one addressing
almost all of the report.

Hence, I very much appreciate your lack of tact (to not say ingratitude).
Thanks very much, I really needed to be further demotivated.

> fix the bugs
> http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53530
> some streams http://www.di.fm/ for testing
>
> http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52812
>
> and others...

I could not find the patches.

For the record, looking at statistics from the last few weeks, we have a grand
total:
- one active developper (Laurent), and
- about 5 somewhat active ones (AFAIK, all Linux guys),
- a few tens of other guys.

In fact, I would not be surprised if 1.0.0 is Linux-only.

> better 0.9.1000 which is REALLY good and people love to use it and
> recommend it to thers because of its qualities than to have 1.0 with lots
> of bugs and security problems and people go to switch to other players.
> dont forget, 1.0 will bring A LOT of attention to vlc, if it is not good
> and the problems not fixed a lot of people will send "nice" mails and post
> in the forum and anywhere else about their bad experience.
>
> i used vlc for so many years that i cant remember when i started to use it
> as the only program for all videos and streams. since 0.8.6 it is going
> downwards, there is a lot missing since that version.

Do you realize that two 0.9-vanished features of the those that are most
vehemently and loudly complained about, were removed due to being a big
security hole in itself (the playlist extended options), and causing crashes
(embedded video output)?

There is a French proberv whereby one cannot have both butter and the money
for said butter.

But maybe you'd rather we dump VLC development altogether than ship 1.0 as is,
or stop ever doing releases (like FFMPEG)?

http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary