[vlc-devel] Sun, JavaFX and Mutimedia...

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Mon Dec 8 10:40:47 CET 2008

   Tony,

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 13:12:07 -0800 (PST), Tony Anecito <adanecito at yahoo.com>
wrote:
(...)
> I intend to stick with JVLC/VLC for now although I could never get the
new
> jna version to play all my videos using the MediaPlayer java object that
> the older version of VLC has. I have not downloaded the latest vlc code
> see if the jvlc api for jna still works or if the videos I had problems
> with the newer vlc now work. I will try tonight.
>
> The other tempting thing is the size of the codecs from Sun add to less
> that 2MB downlaod before I compress them. Which means faster download for
> people and faster startup something which I feel is lacking in VLC (13MB
> download for client/server libs) but perhaps that has been addressed?
(...)

You are not going to squeeze any extra bits from the VideoLAN project by
threatening to switch to the competition. We are not a paying
customer-driven business. We are a CONTRIBUTOR-centric community project.

The only sane things to do are:
- sending patches to address one's concerns or,
- hiring someone to do it on one's behalf.

If unwilling or unable to do either, so be it.

As for download size, shrinking the size of VLC is trivial. Just remove
plugins you don't need, disable sout, and leave out translations and data
files. I don't mean to be rude, but we have higher priorities than custom
builds for people who cannot be bothered to do their own.