[vlc-devel] Sun, JavaFX and Mutimedia...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Mon Dec 8 10:47:57 CET 2008

Hello Tony,

On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 01:12:07PM -0800, Tony Anecito wrote :
> I did look closely at the multimedia capability for windows and they have added quite a few more codecs. They now support flv, mp4, mpg, avi, wms and maybe one or two I have missed. Most of the videos I have been using with an older version of JVLC/VLC (before the jna switch) do not work with Sun or ON2 codecs. Sun admitted they do not support higher resolution videos yet and I found that to be true which makes it not competitive with JVLC/VLC. I also found they did not support mms or rtp protocol but they did http. They also mentioned they will be adding video capture capability soon along with higher res video support. They do support Linux now and MAC I think.

Are you sure about that?
To me, they support On2 VP6+MP3 and all the codecs that has DirectShow
on the machine... So, if you don't have the good codec packs, you are in
the same position/issue, you can't read the videos.

Am I mistaken? Probably, but javafx.com/faq is not that clear too me.

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/