[vlc-devel] gpl license question

Ben Leers Ben.Leers at ebit.be
Thu Dec 18 14:59:04 CET 2008

Hey,

I got a question about GPL license when using (J)VLC.

Because we now use (J)VLC, does this now make our entire code falling
under the GPL license?

Or do we only need to make the part that uses (J)VLC GPL?

The reason why I ask this is because our client wants to keep the code
private (competitive branch of industry). What I mean is that he does
not want to give the entire Java code out to the public. We don't want
to make a lot of trouble, that's why we ask now, before it's released.
The only people who can judge this, are the (J)VLC developers itself.

The (J)VLC "blob" is a very small part of the entire program and it does
not focus onto the video streaming part.

Cheers,

Ben