[vlc-devel] gpl license question

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Fri Dec 19 18:41:12 CET 2008

	Hello,

Le jeudi 18 décembre 2008, Ben Leers a écrit :
> Because we now use (J)VLC, does this now make our entire code falling
> under the GPL license?

"(...) If
identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program,
and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in
themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those
sections when you distribute them as separate works.  But when you
distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based
on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of
this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the
entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote
it.

Thus, it is not the intent of this section to claim rights or contest
your rights to work written entirely by you; rather, the intent is to
exercise the right to control the distribution of derivative or
collective works based on the Program.

In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program
with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of
a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under
the scope of this License."

> Or do we only need to make the part that uses (J)VLC GPL?

Depends how independent the parts are.

http://www.remlab.net/