[vlc-devel] Fix Freetype crash when compiling with GCC 4.1+

Sebastian Jenny jenny.sebastian at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 02:20:26 CET 2008

Hi there!

This diff should fix the unnerving crash on freetype_plugin.dll at start of
VLC for Windows. As you can see, I just deleted the implementation of
fontconfig. I didn't bother (nor do I have the time to) cleanup now obsolete
code in the files that use fontconfig, if existing (e.g. freetype.c).

Suprisingly, this doesn't seem to break functionality. I tested Subtitle
colour and size. Font wouldn't work, but that is also the case for every
version built with GCC 3.4.5 (where the resulting freetype_plugin.dll
wouldn't crash) and even official 0.8.6.d. Also I think it's better to have
non-crashing subtitle support without ability to change fonts rather than
having no subtitles at all.

If anyone feels he has to properly fix it, this entry in the mailing list
seems to be a good start as it's obviously related to the current problem:
http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2007-October/035309.html