[vlc-devel] Switching to git

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Sat Feb 16 21:07:42 CET 2008

Pierre d'Herbemont wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think we are considering the move to git. So far I haven't seen any
> will against it from major developers.
>
> Basically we have more or less everything ready, that includes Trac:
> http://jones.videolan.org:8000/vlc-git/
> http://git.videolan.org/
>
> The only real hurdle left is that the svn bridge isn't that nice and
> we can't have a bidirectionnal write access to both the svn and git
> repository. I am suggesting to setup a CVS mirror, because after all
> SVN is only a faster CVS (</flame>). This one can be bidirectional,
> but will hopefully facilitate the move.

Are you sure we need a 2-way connection. It is possible to import the
entire history with git-svnimport, which is IMHO the way to go if we are
going to switch to git entirely.

git-svn is only developed for a single developer to keep his projects in
sync with a subversion archive more easily. It is not intended to be
shared amongst multiple developers.

gtz
Jean-Paul Saman.