[vlc-devel] Implementing QuickTime capture (sequence grabber) support

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at nxtelevision.com
Thu Jan 3 21:50:44 CET 2008

On Fri, Jan 04, 08 at 09:32 +1300, Neil Bertram wrote:

> I'd like to have a go at implementing QuickTime capture on OSX, but I
> have no experience coding on VLC or QuickTime. There seems to be a bunch
> of sample code on developer.apple.com for using the sequence grabber, so
> I presume that's not too bad, but I couldn't find docs on the wiki about
> the VLC module API for input systems and where I'd need to make code
> changes.

http://www.videolan.org/developers/vlc/doc/developer/html/index.html is
the old documentation but the basic are still the same.

The HACKING file at the root of the sources explain how to modify the
build system to get your module built

Then the best method is to follow another module as an example and ask
here or on IRC

> My first question is what's a good input module to base it on? I was
> thinking the v4l2 module since it's nicely self-contained?

Any module in modules/access can be a example bt i guess v4l or v4l2
would be the better

> Also, should I be looking at the Carbon or Cocoa interfaces for
> QuickTime? There's a relatively recent QTKit for Cocoa which may be
> nicer to use than the Carbon/C++ APIs.
As you said modules are self contained. So the access module should read
from the capture card and it takes an MRL and some options to know which
card to open and other settings.

The MacOS gui module will need to be modify to add a "open capture card"
dialog and/or menu item but that's a bit secondary

--
Xtophe