[vlc-devel] Playing TS having AVC content

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Wed Jan 9 23:47:18 CET 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008, Son Minh Tran wrote :
> Dear  Benjamin Pracht,
> Thank you for your answer.
>
> > Could you try with a recent nightly built from
> > http://nightlies.videolan.org/?
> >
> > A recent change in the h264 packetizer may have solved your issue.
> >

> Could you please give more detail on the "recent change in the h264
> packetizer" As a developer / rechercher, I am also interested in this
> issue.Maybe the recent nightly built can optionally parse NAL access
> unit delimiter, AVC video descsciptor ?
> Thank you
> Son

Because of an old bug in ffmpeg, VLC used to not transmit sps/pps to the
decoder exceptf for the first one, used for initilization. The bug in
ffmpeg has been solved and the hack been removed. Now, reading your
issue again, it is in fact unlikely to solve your issue (I first thought
you meant vlc 0.8.6d wasn't creating valid ts stream for h264 while
0.8.5 was, which could be possible since the same packetizer is (I
think) used before feeding nals to the ts muxer. A ts stream with only
1 sps/pps at the beginning and ont every IDR frame is unlikely to be
streamable.)

--
BigBen