[vlc-devel] Need help on combining new codec to VLC

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at nxtelevision.com
Fri Jan 18 01:02:30 CET 2008

> As I found VLC contain its own libraries for video codecs. (Theora also).
> Also found some pluguins in "*/usr/lib/vlc/codec *" directory.Is it?
Yes and no. the .so in this directory are the vlc modules which make the
interface between vlc and libtheora or libavcodec

>      1. How to combine a new codec to the VLC.( Combining modified Theora
> codec to the VLC )

If you're modifying libtheora and don't change it's API and the theora
vlc module has been dynamically linked you have nothing to do. Else you
have to recompile the theora module

>      2.Can we add new codec after installing VLC to a computer.(As a pluguin
> )
 if the new plugin has been compiled from *exactly* the same version as
the already installed vlc

--
Xtophe