[vlc-devel] Improper #include statements in /usr/include/vlc files

Bill C. Riemers briemers at redhat.com
Tue Jul 8 14:18:02 CEST 2008

Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:20:26 -0400, "Bill C. Riemers" <briemers at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
> This is not going to work. /usr/lib/libvlc.so is provided in any version of
> the libvlc devel package, such that it is impossible to install two of
> them.
>
> The only way this could work is through a version-dependent SONAME, but I
> reckon this is considered bad practice.

A version-dependent so would be the right way to go.  If the include
files are version specific, then it is a good idea to make the so
version specific.   Your old friend pkg-config can handle providing the
correct -l flag.

For example, if I look at 'atk':

pkg-config --libs atk
-latk-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0
pkg-config --cflags atk
-I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
-I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include

The "--atleast-version", "--exact-version", and "--max-version" flags
can be used to control which versions of the libraries and include files
are referenced.

However, there are some packages which use version specific include
directories, but not version specific so libraries.   I am not sure why.

Bill