[vlc-devel] Improper #include statements in /usr/include/vlc files

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Tue Jul 8 14:35:06 CEST 2008

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 08:18:02 -0400, "Bill C. Riemers" <briemers at redhat.com>
wrote:
> A version-dependent so would be the right way to go.  If the include
> files are version specific, then it is a good idea to make the so
> version specific.   Your old friend pkg-config can handle providing the
> correct -l flag.

I disagree. I have various ideas about breaking the ABI of libvlccore in
version 0.9.1, and I am sure someone else will also break it (purposedly or
not). But that does not mean we will break with every single release.

In any case, we intend to keep libvlc ABI-compatible as much as possible.
Hence I very much disagree with having a libvlc-0.9.*.so that would force
relinking all applications.