[vlc-devel] Improper #include statements in /usr/include/vlc files

Bill C. Riemers briemers at redhat.com
Tue Jul 8 15:10:20 CEST 2008

Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 08:18:02 -0400, "Bill C. Riemers" <briemers at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> A version-dependent so would be the right way to go.  If the include
>> files are version specific, then it is a good idea to make the so
>> version specific.   Your old friend pkg-config can handle providing the
>> correct -l flag.
>>

> I disagree. I have various ideas about breaking the ABI of libvlccore in
> version 0.9.1, and I am sure someone else will also break it (purposedly or
> not). But that does not mean we will break with every single release.
>
> In any case, we intend to keep libvlc ABI-compatible as much as possible.
> Hence I very much disagree with having a libvlc-0.9.*.so that would force
> relinking all applications.

Two points:
  1. Normally the library only the major version numbers are included in
the so link and include files directories.  The major number only needs
to be updated when
      backwards compatibility is broken.
  2. Generally, library version numbers don't have to match build
versions.  In fact they don't.   libvlc is at version 2.0.1.   So you
would have libvlc-2.0.so, not libvlc-0.9.1.so.
  3. Some packages prefer to use a version specific lib directory
instead of versions specific so.  For example, xulrunner:
        $ pkg-config --libs libxul
        -L/usr/lib64/xulrunner-sdk-1.9/sdk/lib -lxpcomglue_s -lxul
-lxpcom -lplds4 -lplc4 -lnspr4 -lpthread -ldl

Bill