[vlc-devel] Request for removal of commit rights

Bill C. Riemers briemers at redhat.com
Thu Jul 10 19:00:34 CEST 2008

It seems to me we could avoid many problems, if developers were to use
branches more frequently.

There are two primary reasons to commit code:

1. A developer has something that will really fix or improve things.

2. A developer has code they want to share with others for comments and
feedback.

So long as everything is committed to the trunk, commits can only done
in case #1.   Which is really a shame, since part of collaboration is
reviewing other peoples code and providing necessary feedback.

So my suggestion would be anyone submitting code, that is not fairly
certain it meets criteria #1 should use a branch.   Once the code has
been commented on improved so it meets criteria #1, then it can be moved
onto the trunk.

Bill