[vlc-devel] Request for removal of commit rights

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Thu Jul 10 19:25:05 CEST 2008

	Hello,

Le jeudi 10 juillet 2008 20:00:34 Bill C. Riemers, vous avez écrit :
> It seems to me we could avoid many problems, if developers were to use
> branches more frequently.

I think everybody agrees with that, and this is already happening! Most if not
all GSoC students have their own branch. Then the media library "ECP" branch
has been there for a long time. And the feature freeze has "caused" the the
filter branch and my own. Branch is a word abuse, these are different trees.
Only 0.8.6-neuros is actually branch and should really be a tree.

It is also clear that many developpers have been batching commits (with the
ffmpeg rework as the canonical example of a long standing private branch).
All thanks to the switch from SVN to Git :)

(...)
> So my suggestion would be anyone submitting code, that is not fairly
> certain it meets criteria #1 should use a branch.   Once the code has
> been commented on improved so it meets criteria #1, then it can be moved
> onto the trunk.

Exactly! But I am specifically concerned about the small hackish fixes. There
is no way that a few-liner hack would go to a custom branch. These should be
reviewed BEFORE committing, and if not, fixed after being reviewed after
being (wrongly) committed. But what I see is that all developpers refuse to
go to the first solution, and that the second one does nothing but induce
commits/reverts wars and insults, definitely no fix.

And well, I find it particularly outrageous when the kludges are made by a
professional consultant and fixed by volunteers (after painful tracking). I
have never intended Jean-Paul to be kicked out of the project - I just want
his commits be reviewed before they go in. I don't mind going through the
same process myself, such is the power of distributed version control
systems.

Regards,

http://www.remlab.net/