[vlc-devel] VLC API

Mirsal Ennaime mirsal.ennaime at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 10:41:25 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 4:18 AM, hce <webmail.hce at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've looked at the mpris spec and I guess the XML type message format
> can be used between the mpris and the VLC. But how the external
> application can talk to the VLC API, via function call or via socket?
> I could not find a VLC document for the details, where I can get those
> details from VLC?

Actually, the MPRIS is a D-Bus interface specification.
D-Bus is a low latency IPC (inter-process-call) mechanism widely used
on modern GNU/Linux and UNIX-like systems.

You can get some documentation and info about it here:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus
There's a python example in the VLC source tree:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=extras/misc/mpris.py;h=ff15e359c277c36452e61423060f905cd11590e2;hb=HEAD

If you need more portable stuff or don't want to or can't use D-Bus,
you can take a look to the RC / telnet interfaces that VLC has
provided for ages.

If you're using Java, you could build your own webservices API using
the JVLC libvlc bindings.

There are lots of options depending on your platform and environment.

Regards
--
Mirsal Ennaime